janusVR: an immersive, collaborative, multi-dimensional internet.
Human imagination and our spirit of exploration feed off each other.
janusVR is a VR experience, created and explored by the collective imagination of our growing global sentience. In janusVR today, we transcend geographical boundaries to convene and interact in connected, multi-dimensional spaces.
...socializing, shopping, conducting meetings, attending music, movies and gaming events, or collaboratively wandering each other's decentralized utopian spaces, exploring and inspiring creativity in each other. Above all simply being there.
janusVR presently supports OculusVR Rift DK2 and Leap Motion, driven by gamepads, mouse, keyboard, touch or natural 3D gestures.
janusVR enables collaborative creation, editing, chat, talk and visual interaction.
janusVR sites are topological spaces embedded in 3D interconnected by portals. It is the 2D and 3D internet, seamlessly functional in 3D.
An actively growing community of over 90,000 users. janusVR is indeed the metaverse of our users, by our users, for our users.
Inspired by the metaverse of Snow Crash, and named after Janus, the Roman God of passages, janusVR is an online network of multi-dimensional spaces, interconnected by portals. Portals in janusVR, like the God, have two faces that peer into the spaces they seamlessly link. The janusVR experience draws you into this metaverse whether you are strapped to a headset or on the move with a tablet.
- Navigate using traditional gamer controls, touch, teleporting ghosts or 3D hand gestures.
- Customize your Avatar.
- Talk, chat and visually interact in 3D.
- Surf the 2D web in 3D.
janusVR has legs!...watch billy gibbons, butch trucks, slash and a bunch of others live and immersive with vrlive.tv and janusVR.
January 12, 2015, Red carpet @ 6pm, showtime @ 7pm PST. REPLAY
Directions to the concert (advanced users can press Tab to create a portal straight to http://thevrbar.com/roxy360.html):
- Load up janusVR and from the main lobby, head over to "The VR Bar"
- Beyond the front doors (click to open), you'll find a portal to "The Roxy Theatre" (click to open)
- Head across the street and into The Roxy (feel free to skip the lineup) to find the concert within, shown on a giant videosphere!
- Press 'O' to bring up a live twitter feed about the "Adopt the Arts" event! You can tweet from inside JanusVR!
- Experience a concert at the legendary Roxy on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood!
Live and immersive with VRLIVE.TV and JanusVR. Levitate in janusVR, over the sea of beer spilling, view blocking dudes, and VRock out to 6 punk bands from the CyberTracks record label.
Showtime: December 27, 2014, 7:15pm PST. REPLAY
- The Virtual Realty Awards 2014.
Showtime: November 28, 2014, 4:30pm PST. REPLAY
Press and Media
- VR live TV, streamed through janusVR
- Oculus Hut: janusVR online videos.
- The VR Bar live events in janusVR channel.
- (January 20, 2015) Play with JanusVR using an omnidirectional treadmill
- (December 26, 2014) The Internet’s Still Just Getting Started, After Twenty Years
- (November 14, 2014) Building The Metaverse: 2014 Technology Exchange
- (October 21, 2014) Factor Magazine - The Future Fracturing of the Internet: How Access Will Define the Web of Tomorrow
- (September 15, 2014) Browsing the Web in Virtual Reality With the Oculus Rift
- (September 4, 2014) Seven amazing apps for the Oculus Rift that aren't games
- (August 21, 2014) Gamer Muscle Videos Review/Let's Play
- (August 4, 2014) Virtual Reality Reviewer
- (April 29, 2014) UofT Magazine - Dont click that link, walk through that door
- (April 21, 2014) Virtual Reality Reviewer
- (March 20, 2014) Fast Co. Design - What If Web Browsing Were Like A Virtual Reality Videogame?