CSC 418/2504 Winter 2007 Calendar
Below is the anticipated schedule, with the associated
readings. The actual pace will vary depending on the class, and the readings may
be altered slightly as the course progresses.
Week of Jan 8
- Lecture: Introduction: Raster Displays and Line Drawing,
Parametric/explicit/implicit equations, circles, ellipses.
- Tutorial: No tutorial
Week of Jan 15
- Lecture: Polygons (triangulation, scan conversion, convex/concave,
clipping), 2D affine transformations and properties, Homogeneous
- Tutorial: Into to openGL, C++, display technology, line drawing.
- Assignment 1 handed out
Week of Jan 22
- Lecture: Animation principles, keyframe animation, Coordinate-free
geometry, 3D modeling primitives and transformations,
- Tutorial: Polygon triangulation, scan conversion, clipping in detail..
Week of Jan 29
- Lecture: Composing and Inverting Transformations, Transformations as
Change of Basis, , Scene graphs, Using Transformations in OpenGL, Camera
models and viewer coordinates.
- Tutorial: 3D modeling primitives, transformations.
- Assignment 1 due
Week of Feb 5
- Lecture: , Perspective and orthographic projection, Hidden Surface
Removal, z-buffer, BSP Trees.
- Tutorial: Camera models, perspective.
Assignment 2 handed out
Week of Feb 12
- Lecture: Lighting/Reflection: BRDF, geometry, diffuse reflectance,
Lighting/Reflection: diffuse, ambient, specular
- Tutorial: Visibility algorithms, shading in OpenGL
Week of Feb 19
- Lecture: Lighting/Reflection: Interpolative Shading, Texture mapping
- Tutorial: Midterm Review
Midterm Test, In class (first hour).
Week of Feb 26
- Lecture: Ray Tracing: intro, ray casting, intersecting generic and
- Tutorial: Midterm solutions, and Q&A for Assignment 2
Assignment 2 due
Week of Mar 5
- Lecture: Ray Tracing: Local shading, spawning rays (reflection,
refraction, shadows), Ray Tracing with antialiasing
- Tutorial: Raytracing.
Week of Mar 12
- Lecture: Advanced rendering, Smooth curves, Hermite curves, Basis matrix
and basis functions.
Tutorial: Intersecting Deformed objects and CSG
Week of Mar 19
- Lecture: Bezier curves and surfaces, B-Splines, curve properties.
- Tutorial: TBA
Assignment 3 due
Week of Mar 26
- Lecture: Animation: Motion capture, and dynamics, Spring-mass systems.
- Tutorial: Review
Dept of Computer Science,
University of Toronto
Last modified: Sept 6 13 16:20:56 EST 2005