CSC 418/2504 Fall 2007 Calendar
Below is the anticipated schedule, with the associated
readings. The actual pace will vary depending on the class, and the readings may
be altered slightly as the course progresses.
Week of Sept 12
- Lecture: Introduction: Raster Displays and Line Drawing,
Parametric/explicit/implicit equations, circles, ellipses.
- Tutorial: No tutorial
Week of Sept 19
- Lecture: Polygons (triangulation, scan conversion, convex/concave,
clipping), 2D affine transformations and properties, Homogeneous
- Tutorial: Into to openGL, C++, display technology, line drawing.
- Assignment 1 handed out
Week of Sept 26
- Lecture: Animation principles, keyframe animation, Coordinate-free
geometry, 3D modeling primitives and transformations,
- Tutorial: Polygon triangulation, scan conversion, clipping in detail..
Week of Oct 3
- Lecture: Composing and Inverting Transformations, Transformations as
Change of Basis, , Scene graphs, Using Transformations in OpenGL, Camera
models and viewer coordinates.
- Tutorial: 3D modeling primitives, transformations.
- Assignment 1 due
Week of Oct 10
- Lecture: , Perspective and orthographic projection, Hidden Surface
Removal, z-buffer, BSP Trees.
- Tutorial: Camera models, perspective.
Week of Oct 17
- Lecture: Lighting/Reflection: BRDF, geometry, diffuse reflectance,
Lighting/Reflection: diffuse, ambient, specular
- Tutorial: Visibility algorithms, shading in OpenGL
Assignment 2 handed out
Week of Oct 24
- Lecture: Lighting/Reflection: Interpolative Shading, Texture mapping
- Tutorial: Midterm Review
Midterm Test, In class (first hour).
Week of Oct 31
- Lecture: Ray Tracing: intro, ray casting, intersecting generic and
- Tutorial: Midterm solutions, and Q&A for Assignment 2
Week of Nov 7
- Lecture: Ray Tracing: Local shading, spawning rays (reflection,
refraction, shadows), Ray Tracing with antialiasing
- Tutorial: Raytracing.
Assignment 2 due
Week of Nov 14
- Lecture: Advanced rendering, Smooth curves, Hermite curves, Basis matrix
and basis functions.
Tutorial: Intersecting Deformed objects and CSG
Week of Nov 21
- Lecture: Bezier curves and surfaces, B-Splines, curve properties.
- Tutorial: TBA
Week of Nov 28
- Lecture: Animation: Motion capture, and dynamics, Spring-mass systems.
- Tutorial: Review
Assignment 3 due
Week of Dec. 5
- Closing remarks.
- Wooden monkey awards.
Dept of Computer Science,
University of Toronto
Last modified: Sept 6 13 16:20:56 EST 2007